Are you looking for an inspiration for Self Portrait Photography? I got your back! Keep on scrolling down!
- 1 Are you looking for an inspiration for Self Portrait Photography? I got your back! Keep on scrolling down!
- 1.1 What is a self portrait photography?
- 1.2 How To Pose With Your Face?
- 1.3 How do you take a good self portrait?
- 1.4 Self Portrait Ideas: Where Do I start?
- 1.5 Outdoor Self Portrait Ideas: Street-style & Nature
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Read my disclaimer for more info.
What is a self portrait photography?
Now, you apparently have an idea that a self portrait photo is a basically a as simple as a selfie. And you will be right! Accept that a selfie is considered to be a picture take with a cellphone and a self portrait photography I’d prefer to take with a bit more professional camera (which does not need to be necessarily expensive). Just grab a 300$ on Amazon and play around like I do!
Why do I like a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera for self portrait photography?
It’s way easier to use if you like to spend time editing on a bigger screen. It’s also easier to move the camera, flip the front screen so you can see yourself, plus I always use a remote control, so it’s super affordable and simple.
To make a long story short here is a video where I explain how to use the natural and artificial lighting at home. Check out how I take my own pictures with the use of a remote control. This is an easy guide on how to make pretty modelling snaps or even the whole portfolio if you want to become a model.
- Practice Modelling Faces: Pose with your face
- Model’s Tip for Posing
- Always Look Good In Pictures Even For INSTAGRAM
- Make Pictures Like Gigi Hadid and Rosie Huntington Whitley
- How I became a fashion model
- How to become a model if you are 5,3 (petite)
How To Pose With Your Face?
How do you take a good self portrait?
- Decide on the background (in my case I use a simple white wall or buy A5 size colourful paper and glue it up to the wall (unless you are a photoshop geek and have time to change background colours).
- Find the lighting (either it’s a window or you have at least 1 soft-box.
- Fix you camera so you could see your own face on the flipped screen.
- Makeup, outfit and the whole concept of an idea is up to you (if you never did it before, I always recommend copying your favourites model portraits or take mine).
- Remote control ready!
- Ready to shoot!
These are the gadgets that I use and usually recommend to people:
Self Portrait Ideas: Where Do I start?
Do You need a lot for starting? No! Pick some of the most inspiring images/concepts to you. For me are always those above because I just love fashion models, Victoria’s Secret Angels and Baby Doll Faces and of course Lingerie shots! If Pinterest Cannot help me, I’d always start practicing these:
- Model’s Snaps/Portfolio at home
- Copying Victoria’s Secret Angel Poses
- Lingerie/Beachwear Shots
- Baddie Outfit
- Soft Baby Face Snaps
Outdoor Self Portrait Ideas: Street-style & Nature
Were you wondering if you can make the same magic on the street? Of course! The only thin you would need is a tripod. Look what you can use:
1. If you have a soft-box you can take the lamp off and happily use the tripod for your camera.
2. A useful tripod that can twist and flip to all the verticals like this one from here:
- A simple location where you can catch a “Golden Hour” Lighting
- A Golden Slip Dress is always a good idea for a Goddess Image
- Fly in the air with flowing hair