Are you looking for an inspiration for Self Portrait Photography? I got your back! Keep on scrolling down!
- 1 Are you looking for an inspiration for Self Portrait Photography? I got your back! Keep on scrolling down!
- 1.1 What is a self portrait photography?
- 1.2 Why do I like a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera for self portrait photography?
- 1.3 How To Pose With Your Face?
- 1.4 How do you take a good self portrait?
- 1.5 Self Portrait Ideas: Where Do I start?
- 1.6 Outdoor Self Portrait Ideas: Street-style & Nature
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Read my disclaimer for more info.
What is a self portrait photography?
Now, you apparently have an idea that a self portrait photo is basically as simple as a selfie. And you will be right! Accept that a selfie is considered to be a picture take with a cellphone and a self portrait photography I’d prefer to take with a bit more professional camera (which does not need to be necessarily expensive). Just grab a 300$ on Amazon and play around as I do!
Why do I like a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera for self portrait photography?
It’s way easier to use if you like to spend time editing on a bigger screen. It’s also easier to move the camera, flip the front screen so you can see yourself, plus I always use remote control, so it’s super affordable and simple.
To make a long story short here is a video where I explain how to use natural and artificial lighting at home. Check out how I make my own pictures with the use of remote control. This is an easy guide on how to make pretty modeling snaps or even the whole portfolio if you want to become a model.
- Practice Modelling Faces: Pose with your face
- Model’s Tip for Posing
- Always Look Good In Pictures Even For INSTAGRAM
- Make Pictures Like Gigi Hadid and Rosie Huntington Whitley
- How I became a fashion model
- How to become a model if you are 5,3 (petite)
How To Pose With Your Face?
How do you take a good self portrait?
- Decide on the background (in my case I use a simple white wall or buy A5 size colorful paper and glue it up to the wall (unless you are a photoshop geek and have time to change background colors).
- Find the lighting (either it’s a window or you have at least 1 soft-box.
- Fix your camera so you could see your own face on the flipped screen.
- Makeup, outfit, and the whole concept of an idea is up to you (if you never did it before, I always recommend copying your favorites model portraits or take mine).
- Remote control ready!
- Ready to shoot!
These are the gadgets that I use and usually recommend to people:
Self Portrait Ideas: Where Do I start?
Do You need a lot for starting? No! Pick some of the most inspiring images/concepts for you. For me are always those above because I just love fashion models, Victoria’s Secret Angels and Baby Doll Faces, and of course Lingerie shots! If Pinterest Cannot help me, I’d always start practicing these:
- Model’s Snaps/Portfolio at home
- Copying Victoria’s Secret Angel Poses
- Lingerie/Beachwear Shots
- Baddie Outfit
- Soft Baby Face Snaps
Outdoor Self Portrait Ideas: Street-style & Nature
Were you wondering if you can make the same magic on the street? Of course! The only thing you would need is a tripod. Look what you can use:
1. If you have a soft-box you can take the lamp off and happily use the tripod for your camera.
2. A useful tripod that can twist and flip to all the verticals like this one from here:
- A simple location where you can catch a “Golden Hour” Lighting
- A Golden Slip Dress is always a good idea for a Goddess Image
- Fly in the air with flowing hair